There is always a lot to learn about puppies irrespective of whether it is your first pet or you have experience in bringing up a lot of them. A puppy passes through different stages. At the age of around four months, it undergoes teething stage, which is when the milk teeth get replaced with permanent teeth.
Here are a few things that you should know about puppy teething:
- Like human beings, puppies too go through a very similar situation when it comes to teething. They get their baby teeth at any time from 2 to 4 weeks of age. Normally, 28 teeth grow during this age, which is not less than tiny razors.
- Puppies explore a lot with their teeth, especially by putting objects in their mouths. You may find them chewing almost every possible thing in their way. On reaching around four months of age, they get 42 adult teeth. In fact, the count is more than that of human beings and these 42 teeth later start to fall out. This is a painful stage as the pup’s gums sore out during this time. You can notice blood spots on the puppy’s chewing toys, while at the same time you can find him drooling a bit. During this period, the behavior of the puppy will change a lot.
Other Care that you need to take care during the Puppy Teething phase.
- Make sure that while taking your puppy out during this stage, you monitor each and every activity of his. Be cautious enough to see to it that he does not swallow unwanted things from outside, which may lead to some serious issue.
- During the teething process, puppies don’t show interest in eating as they would be going through a painful time and so they prefer soft food. If you are feeding dry food, then soak the food in water or milk before feeding them.
- During this process, puppies start chewing on almost everything. In this case, you can give them a piece of ice or a clean rag after freezing it so that he will enjoy chewing it. At the same time, this can help to heal the swollen jaws.
- The teething stage is the best time to handle the puppies’ mouth because after they are grown up you can easily check for any tooth problem. Make sure to praise a puppy at the end of the training session to boost the confidence level.
- Once the permanent teeth grow, you should take more care. Tooth brushing is one of the activities that every pet owner should carry out on daily basis. There are different kinds of teeth for specific functions.
- Dogs use their incisor teeth for removing meat from the bone. There are two canine teeth – one at the top and one at the bottom side of the jaw, which they use for biting.
All dogs undergo this teething stage. With a few chew items and extra attention from you, you can help your pup during this time.