Things to Know About Your Puppy Teething
Puppy Training and Socialization – Valuable Information
10 Best Rated Foods for Healthy Puppy
- Do’s and Don’ts for Mixing Wet And Dry Dog Food 2 months ago
- Things to Know About Your Puppy Teething 3 months ago
- Why Do Puppies Need Chew Toys? 3 months ago
- Puppy Training and Socialization – Valuable Information 3 months ago
- How to Choose Large Breed Puppy Foods? 3 months ago
Wondering what is the best tips to follow while mixing Wet and Dry Dog Food for your puppy?
We have the solution for you! Many of us are unaware of what kind of food our pets like, especially when our pets start losing interest in food. Many pet owners get into heated discussions about the best kind of food to feed to their furry friends.
Fortunately, there are few tips to regain your pet’s interest in food. Mixed feeding is one of the best solutions for your dog’s diet.
Do’s and Don’ts for mixing Wet and Dry Dog Food:
- Do Add Water to Dry Kibble: Generally, dogs love dry food. If your pet has lost interest in its food, then try to add water to its diet. You can do this by adding ¼ cup of water to dry kibble. This is done to moisten the diet and enhance the flavor of the food. If your dog is frequently affected by dehydration, then you must try this. You can also ask the veterinarian if this would be beneficial for your dog.
- Don’t Mix Therapeutic Food with Normal Food: Never mix therapeutic food with your dogs with normal food. They will have an adverse effect on your pet. Therapeutic diets are given to prevent your pet from unhealthy conditions. Mixing normal food with therapeutic food might lead to dilution of the properties of the food and also counteract the benefits for your dog.
- Do Consult Veterinarian before Mixing Pet Foods: Many pet foods are prepared to keep the health conditions, specific lifestyle and life stage of the pets in mind. If you are having the least idea about mixing pet foods, then better don’t do it without consulting the veterinarian. This might lead to undesired weight loss or weight gain of your pet and worsen its current health condition. The veterinarian can give you the right guidance about feeding your pet.
- Do Improve the Dry Food You Feed to Your Dog: Dry dog food lacks digestive enzymes. They also lack few nutrients and minerals, which are essential for the good health of the dog. So, try to find the best kibble and add some digestive enzymes to it. In the first few bites, your dog would eat the digestive enzymes and the food consumed thereby gets easily digested. Also, add some lightly steamed vegetables to boost the antioxidants in your pet. They should be finely grinded
- Don’t Feed Cooked Bones: Never feed your dog with cooked bones. It can rupture and sprinter the intestine of your pet. Raw bones are good to feed when compared to cooked bones.
These are some of the do’s and don’ts to be followed when you mixing wet and dry dog food for your puppy. Hope you enjoyed our article, check out our other pages to learn more about how to keep your puppy healthy and obedient.
There is always a lot to learn about puppies irrespective of whether it is your first pet or you have experience in bringing up a lot of them. A puppy passes through different stages. At the age of around four months, it undergoes teething stage, which is when the milk teeth get replaced with permanent teeth.
Here are a few things that you should know about puppy teething:
- Like human beings, puppies too go through a very similar situation when it comes to teething. They get their baby teeth at any time from 2 to 4 weeks of age. Normally, 28 teeth grow during this age, which is not less than tiny razors.
- Puppies explore a lot with their teeth, especially by putting objects in their mouths. You may find them chewing almost every possible thing in their way. On reaching around four months of age, they get 42 adult teeth. In fact, the count is more than that of human beings and these 42 teeth later start to fall out. This is a painful stage as the pup’s gums sore out during this time. You can notice blood spots on the puppy’s chewing toys, while at the same time you can find him drooling a bit. During this period, the behavior of the puppy will change a lot.
Other Care that you need to take care during the Puppy Teething phase.
- Make sure that while taking your puppy out during this stage, you monitor each and every activity of his. Be cautious enough to see to it that he does not swallow unwanted things from outside, which may lead to some serious issue.
- During the teething process, puppies don’t show interest in eating as they would be going through a painful time and so they prefer soft food. If you are feeding dry food, then soak the food in water or milk before feeding them.
- During this process, puppies start chewing on almost everything. In this case, you can give them a piece of ice or a clean rag after freezing it so that he will enjoy chewing it. At the same time, this can help to heal the swollen jaws.
- The teething stage is the best time to handle the puppies’ mouth because after they are grown up you can easily check for any tooth problem. Make sure to praise a puppy at the end of the training session to boost the confidence level.
- Once the permanent teeth grow, you should take more care. Tooth brushing is one of the activities that every pet owner should carry out on daily basis. There are different kinds of teeth for specific functions.
- Dogs use their incisor teeth for removing meat from the bone. There are two canine teeth – one at the top and one at the bottom side of the jaw, which they use for biting.
All dogs undergo this teething stage. With a few chew items and extra attention from you, you can help your pup during this time.
Puppies are the most adorable creatures ever to set foot on this earth. They are certainly God’s gift to us and their cuteness can be seen when they play with their new chew toys. Almost all puppies have a need to chew, which is why we provide them with chew toys to nibble on so that our precious shoes and paperwork stay safe. There are various reasons why chew toys are a requirement for puppies. All puppies go through this phase of teething. You have to be careful with its behavior during this phase of your puppies, feeding them with right toys will help your puppies to get rid of their teething phase comfortably.
Here are a few reasons why puppies need chew toys:
- Teething: The most common reason for why your puppy has the desire to chew is teething. A puppy starts teething when they are about two months old as their milk teeth are just forming and when the milk teeth fall and adult teeth come out, around four to six months of age. During this time, they instinctively end up chewing to help their teeth through the process. This also helps to relieve the tingling sensation that comes during the formation of teeth.
- Keep Their Teeth and Gums Strong and Clean: Another common reason why they need a chew toy is that when they chew something, they are actually trying to stay hygienic. We humans generally brush our teeth. For our beloved canines, the process of brushing the teeth is foreign and their way of keeping their gums and teeth clean and strong is by chewing something. The best thing to chew at that moment is a chew toy.
- Exercising Jaw Muscles: It is noticed that dogs that chew during their early ages end up having stronger jaws in their adulthood. Chewing keeps the jaw muscle functioning, which makes the jaws stronger. However, this exercising shouldn’t be let to grow unnoticed as it might end up becoming a habit in later years.
- A Cure for Boredom: Puppies have an energy level equal to that of a newborn baby and it constantly needs something interesting to happen. When they get bored, they chew. Therefore, if you need your clothing and important furniture to stay intact get your puppy a chew toy. They can chew for as long as they feel like and it keeps them busy and your furniture and other amenities safe from any kind of destruction.
- Obsession: Many puppies have disorders like obsessive chewing disorders that make them want to constantly keep chewing something or the other. If your puppy has the same disorder, you would want to get him a chew toy or the puppy would make your hand or other body parts as its chew toy.
- Responsibility: Many dogs instinctively start chewing when they are young. This is because their instincts tell them that they would need to go and hunt for food and protect themselves or their family members during the later stages of their life. Therefore, a chew toy is the best way to control your pup’s emotions or it may wreak havoc on your home.
Puppies are adorable no matter what they do, so next time your pup starts chewing your hand or clothing, you should get them a chewing toy instantly.
‘Dog is man’s best friend’ – this holds true beyond any doubt. Many people prefer to go for a pup rather than a mature dog as they feel it will create a much better bonding and also bring in much more fun, love, and laughter in their life. It is right also, but then getting a pup means some additional set of responsibilities too.
Once you bring the pup home, you have to teach it virtually everything, including the socializing part. This training ensures that it will grow into a confident, happy, and well-adjusted dog and companion for life.
If you are amongst the few who considers that training is something that resolves a behavioral issue in an older dog, then you are wrong. It is always good to start the training and socializing of the pup early as it prevents predictable behavior problems. Once progressed, these problems become difficult to handle if the dog matures. It is something similar to discipline – just like the way training a child when a kid is easy rather than trying to mend their ways when they are teenagers or adults.
When the pup comes to you leaving its biological parents, it actually looks towards you to take care of it. This care doesn’t end at providing food, shelter, and love, but extends to providing the training as well. Any pup that is less than 5 months of age is very receptive to absorb all the information that you can provide. Thus, it always makes sense to start early and this training about socialization that you provide in this tender age shapes its future personality permanently. It is these training and socializing tactics that it learns between few weeks old and five months of age, which decides its reaction to things in its environment once it becomes an adult.
The sole idea behind socialization is to help your puppy to develop into a well-adjusted and confident adult. This socializing training includes getting it acclimated to different types of sounds, sights, and smells. This needs to be taught in a positive manner. A pup that is taught and trained well turns out to be a self-reliant adult that is capable of saving its own life as well as that of others.
If you research, you will find that the number one cause of dog’s death below the age of three is not diseases but behavioral issues. If pups are not trained in socializing, when they get lost, they wouldn’t know how to react in the company of a stranger. On the contrary, a well-trained pup can carry itself very well when lost. In case the original owner cannot be traced, there could be many takers for this pup in which case it can adjust well to the new surroundings without much trouble.
These are just a few benefits that are discussed here. In fact, the list of benefits of puppy training and socialization is just endless.
Large breeds don’t have the similar anatomy as their smaller or medium breed counterparts. The reason is their enormous growth and bone structure. There are so many puppy foods and it is difficult to choose which one is right for a large breed puppy. If the right amount of nutrients and feeding isn’t provided to large and giant breed puppies, they are in risk of disorders like hip dysplasia, developmental orthopedic disease, elbow dysplasia, and osteochondrosis.
These dogs stay puppies for a longer time as compared to the small and medium breed puppies and they grow faster as well. But it is important to note that overfeeding and over nutrition could also be a problem.
Here are a few things that you should keep in mind when choosing large breed puppy food:
- Protein Requirement:
Large breed puppies require protein, but the amount shouldn’t exceed the recommended levels. This protein is required to support the faster growth of these puppies. The protein should also be made from natural components like soy and animal protein like fish, poultry, and meat. A proper combination of all these is what your puppy requires and that should be present in the puppy food.
- DHA Requirement:
DHA or Docosahexaenoic Acid is an Omega-3 Fatty acid, which is absolutely essential for fast and well-developed brain and eye function. DHA and DHA like fatty acids are essential for the body of the pup as they coordinate with the growth hormones of your brain and cerebral cortex for proper sensory function. The retina is also developed using DHA and if you want your pup to have the perfect eyesight, then DHA is absolutely essential in your dog food.
- Other Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acid Requirements:
Fatty acids are an essential part of a puppy’s diet. Puppy food with these fatty acids allows your pet to have healthy skin and a shiny coat of hair. The puppy stays healthy and revitalized and there is less shedding as well. You don’t have to worry about dirtying your house with fallen dog hair as less of it would fall if your dog has healthy skin and hair coat. So, before you choose your puppy food, make sure it has these fatty acids.
- Multi-Vitamin and Antioxidant Requirements:
When you vaccinate a puppy, it is possible that they get sick for a while as vaccination is actually the insertion of a modified virus. Once the virus subsides and becomes a part of your pup’s bloodstream, your pup gets back to normal. Having a proper multi-vitamin and antioxidant diet for your beloved pup ensures that your pup stays strong between these vaccinations. Therefore, ensure that your dog food has the proper amount of multi-vitamins and antioxidants.
- Calcium Requirements:
All breeds require some level of calcium, but when it comes to large breed dogs, the calcium requirement also goes up as proper bones and teeth are to be formulated. There should be enough calcium and phosphorus in your puppy food so that your large breed dog has ample amount in his body for strong bone and teeth development.
Your puppy needs good nutrients and vitamins in the food and that is the only thing that is required in good large breed puppy food.
It has been truly said that dogs are the best companions for life. They are the perfect pets that fill your live with lots of joy and excitement every time you see them. But having a dog is a responsible task. To make sure that they remain healthy and full of life, they have to be taken care of right from the time when they are puppies.
Puppies are extremely delicate and therefore one should put a lot of thought into the type of food that must be fed. A slight negligence at this stage could result in your dog growing up with some kind of deficiency that may cause you pain and inconvenience later.
The food that is given to puppies must have lots of minerals and vitamins so that they can acquire a good physique by growing appropriate amount of muscles and bones. Since puppies have delicate stomachs, you must make sure that the minerals and vitamins that they are given are easy to digest; otherwise it is likely to bring them more harm than good.
Every puppy needs a meal that is high on nutrition so that they can grow strong and healthy. After extensive research and expert advice from renowned doctors, here is a list of the ten best rated foods that are ideal for a puppy:
- Blue Buffalo Dry Puppy Food- Blue Buffalo Dry Puppy food can be given to dogs of all ages, but it is specially designed for little puppies. The pellet size of the food makes sure that is can be easily eaten by puppies and is also easy for digestion. The main ingredient of this puppy food is oatmeal. Oatmeal helps the puppies to get ample amount of protein. It also has a mix of zinc, iron, phosphorus, and thiamine. It provides the perfect ratio of fibre, protein, and nutrients and has low fat.
- Chicken Soup for the Soul- Chicken Soup for the Soul is a puppy food that has taken inspiration for its name from the book series. The creators of this puppy food claim that it contains the formula that meets the specific growth needs of a puppy. It is also ideal for puppies, which are allergic to some ingredients. It does not contain any ingredient, which is difficult to digest like wheat, corn or lamb. So, if your puppy has a more delicate stomach when compared to other puppies, you must opt for this puppy food.
- Castor and Pollux Organix Puppy Dry Food- If you are looking for a puppy food that has high protein and good amount of fibre content, then you can opt for Castor and Pollux Organix Puppy Dry Food. The ingredients include poultry meat and chicken and is hundred percent organic. If your puppy is picky when it comes to food, then this is the food that you should feed it. It also has Omega 3 fatty acid that helps your pet to have healthy skin and coat.
- Wellness Complete Health Puppy- This puppy food claims that it has a constitution, which is completely healthy. It has all the ingredients that are required by a pup on a daily basis to build up his body and stamina. It also has additional DHA compounds to make sure that the brain development of the puppy takes places properly and the puppy has good eyesight.
- Eagle Pack Puppy Formula- If you have a puppy that belongs to a bigger breed, he or she is going to have a higher demand of nutrition that is mandatory for their sustenance. In this case, you must opt for this puppy food. It comprises of all natural ingredients and provides a complete balance. Since bigger breed puppies have bigger chewing abilities, the pellets of this puppy food are big. It helps the puppies to have a good growth, digestive system, and coat.
- Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food- This puppy food also comprises of natural ingredients and offers a natural make-over of your puppy. Its unique formula handles the digestive system of the puppies appropriately. It has various digestive enzymes, prebiotics, probiotics, botanicals, and natural fibres. It is ideal for puppies suffering from parvo or any other digestive system disease. It not only offers easy digestion, but also strengthens their digestive system.
- Natural Balance Puppy Formula- This puppy food contains a single source animal protein from lamb. It also has brown rice and rice bran. Its salmon content makes the puppy food rich in Omega fats and good fats. The pellet size is small so that even puppies with little teeth can have this food.
- Newman’s Own Organics Advanced Formula- This puppy food has ingredients that has a protein to fat ration that is specially regulated. It serves dogs really well and is recommended by various vets. If you are using this food for puppies, it is advised that you wet the food first so that it gets a little softer when compared to its normal form. The formula has all the natural ingredients that help promote coat, skin, growth, and digestive health.
- Wellness Just for Puppy- This brand provides a holistic nutrition to all puppies. It contributes to the growth of the puppies and provides them with a balanced diet. The ingredients chicken and salmon provide protein to the puppies. It also has DHA that helps in the brain development and improving eyesight. It also strengthens the digestive system and the bones of the puppies.
- Taste of the Wild Grain Free dry Dog food for Puppy- The best part about Taste of the Wild dog food is that it is free from any kind of grains. This is made using a blend of fish proteins, which is very healthy for a growing puppy. All the building blocks that are needed by your pet are present in Taste of the Wild dog food. It also has vegetables and fruits mixed, which allows your pet to gain a good amount of natural antioxidants. It is healthy, has high nutritional value and tasty as well.
Now that you know the ten best-rated foods for a healthy puppy, you should go ahead and provide your puppy with the best food.
Puppy foods are really tricky to pick and find, especially for large breeds. Some large breeds of dogs are Great Dane, Mastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, Bullmastif, Newfoundland, Dogue de Bordeaux, Cane Corso, Great Pyrenees, Bernese Mountain Dog, Tibetan Mastiff, Black Russian Terrier, Leonberger, Irish Wolfhound, and Scottish Deerhound.
These dogs need special protein and diet and this is not just when they are adults. Even as puppies, these large breed dogs need special care and diet preferences. If proper care isn’t provided, their growth might get shunted and they might not grow to their full potential.
Here are a few of the best puppy foods that can be used for large breed dogs:
- Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost Large Breed Puppy Grain Free:
Large dog breeds need high animal protein and various nutrition elements. Instinct by Nature’s Variety has boosted nutrition for all the large breed puppies and it also has freeze dried raw in the high protein kibble that is provided with the food. This product has cage free chicken in it and that is packed with animal protein so that the energy that is needed for growth and playing is supported. It has a balanced mix of meat, fish and poultry so that healthy exposure to proteins is given plus it has DHA that comes from chicken eggs for eye and brain development. There are no artificial preservatives, by products, soy, wheat, corn, potato or grains in this puppy food and it is made in the USA.
- Blue Wilderness Puppy Large Breed Grain Free Chicken Dry:
Blue Wilderness Puppy food is a really great source of phosphorous and calcium for strong bone formation. As the formula is grain-free, it eliminates any common allergy related to food. The puppy food contains Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids and these acids promote shiny coats and healthy skin. The ingredients comprise of turkey meal, chicken meal, and deboned chicken so that your dog’s protein needs are met. Potatoes and sweet potatoes bring complex carbs that are healthy for a growing pup. Carrots, cranberries, and blueberries support enrichment of antioxidants.
- Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Large Breed Lamb Meal:
This is the recommended diet food for large breed puppies up to one year old. It has clinically proven multivitamins, Vitamins C and E, and antioxidants that keep the immune system protected and strong between vaccinations. All amino acids, vitamins, and minerals are present in this meal plus it has natural and high quality lamb meal for protein. Fish oil is present, which provides natural DHA for eye and brain development. Calcium is present for controlled bone growth and L-carnitine, glucosamine, and chondroitin are present for strong joints and muscles.
- Blue Buffalo Dry Puppy Food:
Blue Buffalo Dry Puppy Food is good for all breeds, be it small, medium, or large. It comprises of all the required vitamins and minerals for proper growth, calcium and phosphorus for strong teeth and bones, kibble for smaller jaws, DHA and ARA or eye and brain development, Omega 3 and 6 for coat and skin and proper protein for growth. It is certainly the best for all puppy types.
- Iams Proactive Health Smart Puppy Large Breed Dry:
This dog food has a balanced and complete kibble, which is especially designed for large puppies. It focuses on joint and muscle growth with the help of lean protein that comes from eggs and chicken. DHA is present for eye and brain development. Calcium is infused in the formula for healthy joints and bones. This can be used for both large and giant breed puppies.
- Orijen Large Breed Dry Puppy Food:
Orijen’s Large Breed puppy food is a really fresh mixture of all the requisite for a healthy growing puppy. All the ingredients are sustainably farmed and fished from regional areas or arrive raw and fresh each day. This means that there are no preservatives involved. The bag has about 85% of animal ingredients like wild-caught fish, whole eggs, free-run chicken, and turkey. The rest of the 15% are botanicals, fresh vegetables, and fruits. This makes it the perfect growth companion for a large breed puppy.
- Eukanuba Puppy Dry Dog Food Standard Packaging Chicken:
Eukanuba Puppy food is for all breeds, be it small, medium or large. It has a special 3D DentaDefense System that reduces the buildup of tartar in about 28 days. To promote digestive health, it has a blend of beet pulp that has higher FOS. Rest of the formula is rich in antioxidants, Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids, DHA, and protein.
- Nutro Max Natural Puppy Dry Dog Food Standard:
This is the standard dry food for all giant breeds and various large breed dogs also prefer Nutro Max’s puppy dry dog food. It has real chicken taste and amino acids that help in healthy metabolism and build muscles. Balanced calorie and nutrient density is present. Therefore, there won’t be any excess weight gain. DHA is present for brain development. It is a complete all-round diet meal.
- Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Formula Grain Free Dry Dog Food:
The grain-free formula helps in digestion and is an excellent nutrition for your growing puppy. It has real roasted meat and is a blend of premium sources of protein. The puppy formula has dried chicory and probiotics that support a healthy immune system. Natural antioxidants and fatty acids are also present.
- Purina Pro Plan Focus Puppy Large Breed Formula Dry Dog Food:
There are no added artificial flavors, colors or preservatives in this dog food. It has all the required ingredients like DHA for eye and brain development, Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for healthy coat and skin, and fiber and protein for improved digestion and muscle building. It is manufactured in the USA.
These are the top ten dog foods that can be used for your puppy if your puppy belongs to any of the large breeds. Large breeds have special needs and so it is advised to go with dog food that is specially formulated for them.